In December of 2010, the new energy efficient facilty was dedicated. The school was named after Silverland Dairy, which was owned and operated by the Anderson family in the early 1900′s. Although the school provides high technology and modern day energy efficient equipment, inside the school’s hallways are murals of Fernley’s past, includung an old grocerty store and an old one room school house, to name a few.
The 30 acre property is now home to 565 seventh and eigth graders, who chose their school colors to be black and orange and the mascot to be the Vaqueros.
The school was constructed to maximize student learning environment and thus emphasis was placed on lighting, sound and comfort.
The school was also designed to be energy efficient and each class has shading devises and tubular sky lightings, as the facility was designed to bring in as much natural sunlight as possible.
The rooms have light occupancy sensors that turn off automatically when the room is vacant. Additionally, three spiral wind turbines will be installed on the east side of the campus, and there are 35 solar panels that power the school’s water heaters.
The school was made with the community in mind as there are Life Skills classrooms, which have a kitchen inside them, can be used by the community college, as can the school’s three computer labs.
The courtyard can be used for movies, and the basketball courts can be used by youth basketball groups.
Jerome (Jerry) Mansker, a local resident and photographer did a great job in his photo/video presentation of our new Silverland Middle School: